Forrester Research analyst Jo Maitland told Forrester clients in a teleconference titled “Email Archiving Mistakes to Avoid” to keep things simple in their selection of a product and setting of policies.
The summary is:
- Backup systems are not archiving systems
- Do not use archive systems that offer stubbing. This only leads to more trouble "down the road"
- Web-based interfaces are the best way to access the archive
- Procedure to recover a message should be simple
- Don't go crazy with complicated "nirvana" policies