Ziff-Davis sent a timely reminder about the five common misconceptions on email archiving.
But first a recap on messaging system state of affairs:
- We love our email. 75 percent of the content generated by employees is transmitted and stored in mail servers.
- "IT" has difficulty balancing growing storage management costs with the retention requirements of government, industry, and corporate rules and regulations.
- Archiving must become an essential and well-thought-out component of your IT infrastructure in order to protect critical information stored in email.
- If your organization's email is not archived effectively, you may face fines, lose legal battles and struggle to recover from a crisis or disaster.
- According to a recent report from Osterman Research, 80 percent of organizations lack a true archiving solution, and 75 percent “are at risk of losing important business records contained in messaging systems.”
- “Our industry is not regulated, so we don’t need to archive.”
- “Email archiving will expose us to risk.”
- “Our backup system is our archive."
- “Exchange 2007 solves our email archive needs.”
- "Email archiving solutions are too expensive for our company.”